Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March Madness: Mr. & Mrs. Pillows!

I am SO excited to share this tutorial with you because it was super easy!

One of the additions we need to our bedroom is a few new pillows for our bed.  We decided to save money by using a comforter we've had in storage (sorry you'll have to wait to see it until the BIG reveal :), however we knew we would need accent pillows.  I searched Pinterest (of course!) and found these adorable pillows...
I knew I wanted one's just like them.  So I went on a hunt through the craft closet and found some leftover canvas from our little mans first birthday party, black sharpies and a bed pillow we had laying around.  

Here's the tutorial...

I started by finding a font I liked and printing out the words I needed.  I positioned them on the fabric and cut 3 equal size pieces of fabric for each pillow...
Since I don't own a light table, I decided to make one using a piece of sheet plastic I had on hand.  I taped the printed out word on the sheet plastic so it would stay in place...
 Using duck tape I stretched the canvas over the printed out word and taped it down...
Enter my light table source...okay I know a little ghetto but it works great!  To make my light table I placed a heavy object on one end of the sheet plastic, hung the end with the word over my work table and set the shadeless lamp on the floor just under the sheet plastic....
 Here's what it looks like when the light comes through the plastic!
Now it was just a matter of trace and color.  I have to admit this was ALOT of fun and super easy.  Be sure you stretch the fabric tight to make it easier to trace...
 After I finished I carefully went over the area's that needed to be darker and the lines that needed to be cleaned up...
Once I finished I was left with these three...
EEEEEEEEEE!!!! Can you hear my excitement!  All that was left was measuring down the material on each pillow.  I chose to leave the center pillow a little larger to keep from being to uniform.
I cut the bed pillow open and measured out the amount of foam I needed.  Then using No Sew fabric glue I glues together 3 of the 4 sides and let them dry (about 2 hours).  I stuffed the pillow and glued the last side together.
 After about 2 hours of drying time my pillows were done!  I L-O-V-E these and they are the perfect addition to our Vintage Romantic bedroom.
OH and as for WHY our center pillow is a treble/bass clef...well you will just have to wait and see :) (no that's not the comforter either).  The best part of these pillows is the cost, a big fat $0, zip, zilch!  Everything I used for this project I had on hand.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment