Thursday, May 3, 2012

DIY: Makeup Board

In our rental home we have one full bathroom, unfortunately the vanity is not very large (sorry for the yellow picture).  With daddy, mommy and baby plus overnight guests using this same space storage is a  huge issue....
In an effort to free up some space I decided to make a magnet board for my makeup.  After house hunting I found an old unused cookie sheet and some left over white spray paint.  It only took one good coat to cover the back side (sorry I only have the before)... 
Next I purchased some tiny heavy duty magnets for $2 a package at Joann's.  I pulled out my trusty glue gun and my already sorted make up and I was ready to get to glueing...
 I glued  a magnet to the back of each piece...
While the glue dried I decided to put lip sticks and brushes in a jar I already owned, but when I looked at it on the counter it just looked disorganized and U-G-L-Y!
So to the pantry I went!  I have seen several people use coffee beans, but around here those are a precious commodity, not to mention I wanted something lighter.  It only took a moment for me to spot some soup mix that, I'm sad to say, I have had for a LLLOOOONNNGGG time.  I knew the beans would be the perfect color in the bathroom (okay did that sound really funny to anyone else :))...

 After pouring the beans in the jar I added the brushed and lipstick back in and viola!  Much better...
The pan just ended up being the perfect size to squeeze inbetween the counter molding and the medicine cabinet, that's right that baby is just snuggly shoved in there with no screws or adhesive, go figure...
The white was just to plain so I decided to mod podge scrapbook paper over the top.  I used paper I had on hand and it was a perfect match for the bathroom.  I also made some little labels using stickers... 
I absolutely LOVE my makeup board!  It is easy access, out of the reach of little hands and free's up some much needed cabinet space.  Oh and the jar of beans ended up being a great addition...
 So what do you think, I would love to hear how you solve storage issues in your house.

Blessings!

UPDATE: You will need to use 2 magnets on the back of larger pieces like Bare Minerals containers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment