Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fab Refurb: Bedroom Dresser

I am SO excited to share this refurb with you!  Since moving to NY we have been on the hunt for a dresser to go along with our vintage romantic inspired master bedroom.  I have been checking second hand stores and craigslist, but with a budget of only $50 it has not been easy.  Well while I was sick and stalking craigslist to pass the time, I spotted this baby for just $40 (yes it does have drawers, I took them out before I took the picture)...
I was beside myself when I got the email that I was the first one!  So helpful hubby headed out to pick it up for me.  He checked over the piece to make sure it was just cosmetic issues and hauled it home.  Once I was healthy enough I began the refurb with a good cleaning... 
I always wonder what a piece of furniture has seen in it's lifetime and I'm guessing this one has seen ALOT!  The doors were the worst, but it really just looked like a staining gone bad.  The top had water damage but just on the surface, nothing a good cleaning couldn't take care of...
The exterior drawers have been stripped and stained and stripped again so I decided they needed to be painted as well.  I will be changing the hardware as well, just not a fan of those drawer pulls...
The interior drawers were the nicest part.  I am guessing this is what the original piece looked like.  The jury is still out on whether they will be painted or not.  I just love the rich tones and with some wood conditioner they would sparkle!
Upon further inspection of the interior I found the LAYERS of paint and stian this dresser has seen.  After seeing this it was settled that this piece would be painted...
The legs were in great shape with the exception of a few chips.  Nothing a hammer, screw driver and a little patients couldn't take care of...
After a GOOD cleaning and several days of researching painting furniture I decided to use spray paint this time around.  I started with Rust-Oleum Primer...
After the first coat of primer you could really see the true beauty of this piece and all the little intricate details...
 Even the detail on the drawers could be seen a little better...
I decided to do two coats of primer since I was going from dark to Heirloom White.  I am getting so excited to see this piece finished...that will be a few days no doubt!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment