Sunday, May 20, 2012

DIY: Easy Vase Makeover

Since our living room color scheme is changing to red and teal, I wanted to add some pops of color.  To save money I decided to head to good will and pick up a few new vases.  I found two that I knew would fit perfectly and with the .25 cent price tag I couldn't beat it.   I rounded out the group with a third vase I had on hand.   
 I picked up a few bottles of acrylic craft paint in teal from Joann's and I used a bottle of red I had on hand.
 The process was very easy (I apologize I didn't get process pics).

Step 1. Clean and dry the vases

Step 2.  Squeeze 3/4 of the bottle of paint into the vase and add about a tablespoon of water to thin it out.

Step 3.  Swirl the paint around in the vase to cover the inside, if the paint is still thick add a small amount of water to continue to thin it out.

Step 4.  Once the paint has covered the vase up to the neck, turn the vase open side down onto a thick rag and allow the excess paint to drain out.  As the paint drains it will cover the inside of the vase to the top.

Step 5.  After about 30 minutes turn the vase over and allow it to dry for 2-3 days.
I love the way they turned out!  In total the three vases cost $1.75, not bad for quick and easy decorations.

Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment