Monday, April 30, 2012

DIY: Va-Va-Va-Vase

Since taking down the Easter decor I decided it was time to start on a summer centerpiece for our dining room table.  A friend had told me about a segment on The Chew where Clinton Kelly had made a summer table scape out of hardware supplies.  After watching the segment on the internet I was inspired and decided I needed to start with a vase.  Enter this beautiful bottle I have had in my stash awaiting the perfect project...
 I pulled out two of my FAVORITE craft supplies, Jute and Mod Podge!  I wanted a vase that was functional and earthy so it wouldn't take away from brightly colored summer flowers...
I started by painting mod podge onto a section and began wrapping the jute over the mod podge.  It did take alot of mod podge and I will admit it was a messy project...
But when I was finished it was worth it.  I decided to make a design in the middle and space out the top to show some of the beautiful glass below.  I put the vase by an open window to help it dry...  
Before to long my vase was dry and I love how mod podge dries clear!  It is the perfect summer vase (if it would hurry up and be summer).  I added the only two flowers we had in our front yard, along with two candles I had on hand.  The candle holders are actually plumbing gaskets that I paid $1.50 for at the HD!
I absolutely LOVE the start of my summer centerpiece.  It has a ways to go, but this is a great start and since I had everything on hand, with the exception of the candle holders, I spend a total of $3.15 for everything, not bad!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment